Monday, June 13, 2005

Peru: Day 6


We just got back a bit ago from Macchu Picchu and hiking up the neighboring Wayna Picchu. Joanna told me once that the view from Wayna Picchu was the most beautiful thing she has ever seen. After climbing straight up the mountain and seeing the view from the top, I couldn't put it any better. It was beautiful.

I thought I had seen all possible kinds of mountains until Peru--North Carolina, West Virginia, Colorado, Washington State. The mountains here are just different. When I first flew in to Cusco I tried to find the words to describe them. The best thing I could come up with was a kind of draped blanket--they just looked like folds. No jagged edges or covering evergreens. So, to experience these incredible and insufficiently described mountains all the better, Joanna took me hiking up Wayna Picchu to get a better glimpse of the Incan ruins below. Between the hundreds of step-like rocks going virtually straight up at times and the fact that Peru is at a higher altitude than I'm used to, I literally huffed and puffed my way to the top. It was by far the guttsiest thing I've done to date, and if Joanna hadn't kept me going I might I missed out on the view from the top. It was definitely the most worthwhile venture I've ever taken. Definitely worth the physical exhaustion...being in the middle of some of the highest points around, seeing neighboring mountain tops covered by clouds, and a few mountains a little further off topped with snow. Truly amazing!

No comments: