Sunday, June 07, 2009

20 Days of Randomness


You never get too old to learn the lessons of discipline. Not the punishment kind but the kind of discipline that consists of structure, endurance, and intentionality. These are hard lessons, but in my own life I'm hoping that once learned they will become habits that will carry me through the end of my days.

I've never been a very structured soul. I do appreciate a good "heads up" every once in a while, but for the most part I've always been pretty fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants. Structure is something I'm discovering more and more will help me be a better steward of the time and giftings God has given me.

I've never been one for endurance. I'm pretty good at getting things started, but the "long haul" is rarely something I can last through. I get impatient. I want to move on to the next thing. I take short cuts. I don't finish at times much less finish well. Endurance is something I'm discovering will whittle away at my own self-sufficiency.

Intentionality on the other hand I can do, but often do not do as much as I should due to the simple excuse of laziness. I don't feel like putting in the extra effort, so I don't. I don't feel like doing something I should do to help me grow, so I don't. Intentionality is something I'm discovering is more a matter of chipping away the selfishness and realizing that there are bigger issues in life than what I do or do not "feel" like at any given time.

That being said, I am working on these disciplines for the next 20 days. In my pursuit of honing my writing skills and working on my utter inability to meet a deadline, I had the idea for 20 Days of Randomness. I gave 20 friends and family each a blank notecard and envelope. On the blank notecard I asked them to simply write their name and a topic for me to write about then seal it in the unmarked envelope and give it back to me. I have no idea what these 20 friends and family wrote on their notecards, nor will I know until the day I open them up and write about the topic they have assigned. I will randomly select one envelope per day, post the topic and initials of the contributor, and then write about whatever randomness they have generously bestowed. I'm rather excited about it actually!

So tomorrow...let the fun begin!

No comments: