Saturday, October 29, 2005

Plaque Verse

Psalm 23: I understand, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil". That's the part I get. The part that I'm still having trouble with is, "Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me". What is it about a shepherd's rod and staff that is found to be so comforting? The rod seems like a tool of correction and the staff, well, think of it...it has a crook at the top to rein in strays. What, pray tell, is so comforting about that? Discuss...

1 comment:

Kermit and Elektra said...

Eg., If a rod is used to discipline, then you can rest assured that you are the child of God, b/c he chastises those he loves. If a staff is used to bring in the straying, you can be glad that God uses one on you, b/c no matter how far away from him you get, drowning in the big muddy, you know he'll throw that crooked staff and drag you back!
~K.