Wednesday, December 24, 2003

"I don't believe in magic"

We had talked a great deal about myths towards the end of the semester and how they were needed to give us a fuller understanding of the nature and character of a personal God. I had never questioned the place of "fairy tales", as Chesterton calls them, because I have always loved a good story. There was something stiring that I could never explain, there was an adventure that I longed to be a part of, or a vilian that I desperately wanted to expose. There were in stories imagination when I felt I had none and a course of action for when creativity got the whirlwind better of me.

"I don't like things that aren't real," said a family friend while she was over for a Christmas Eve greeting. "I don't like cartoons and I don't believe in magic." I think this conversation came up while discussing reading preferences. But having just been discussing with John Eldredge--in his book "Waking the Dead"--the importance of myth in our lives, I was a bit taken aback by how taken aback I was with her words. I asked her, "What about imagination? Isn't that a good thing?" "If it's real life stuff."
Dad chimmed in with, "C.S. Lewis wouldn't like you at all.".....To Be Continued






No comments: